[PROPOSAL #88] [ACCEPTED] Increasing Hub Community Tax

Hi @Damien, thanks for raising this.

I’m not opposed to a community pool tax increase, however I think that framing this proposal around relative $ value of community pool is slightly missing the point.

As a supplementary effort to this, we might ask ourselves why is the usage of the community pool so low on the chain that provides public goods for the ecosystem? Answering that question will help us further define an appropriate sized community pool for the Hub.

Additionally, rather than choosing an arbitrary dollar value to increase the pool by, it would make sense to outline what type of initiatives we would like to encourage and how we might go about doing so. The ATOM 2.0 whitepaper provides a strong start for thinking about that.

In the mean time, I fully support an initial proposal to raise this tax, though do note @Jazz 's point that in this case the burden for funding public goods (which support all) falls on the shoulders of validators and delegators, as opposed to a mint model which actually decreases inflation over time but equally spreads the cost across all ATOM holders.

6 Likes