A Formal Proposal for Enhancing Cosmos Hub Interchain Security Mechanism Design

This is an interesting proposal. Thanks @pupmos . Some questions / comments:

Intro

@pupmos could you qualify “proper incentive alignment”?

Solutions

I generally agree with Chain-specific valdiator commission, but I still hold the concern of it acting as a centralizing force (though a validator has agency over it, which is a step forward).

I would like to see some more user research around how that would affect consumer chains’ choices to deploy on replicated security, especially at the early stages of it. I tend to agree with @Thyborg about

@pupmos How do you envision such a deposit interfacing with 1) more options for sharing security (RS, mesh, opt-in) and 2) more competitors in the shared security space?

I am pretty opposed to something like this because it feels arbitrary. I still feel that poor management of common-resources is the core issue to address here, and I’m not sure that an arbitrary but definitive cap on those resources would solve for that or further aggravate the issues – especially because future funding needs of the Hub are unknown-unknowns.

@Noam – what if consumer chains decide to launch without a token?

This seems interesting, but how might this affect consumer chains’ choice of governance mechanisms? What if they don’t want to use wealth-based token voting at all?

In Summary

I believe:

• the Cosmos Hub should not explicitly or implicitly impose design choices on consumer chains
  • incentive alignment is extremely important for long-term partnerships but need not be restricted to a gross-asset deposit
  • the more chains that propose to use replicated security, the higher the chances the Cosmos Hub has to have long-term winners as partners
  • if used well, the community pool + inflation can be an incredible resource for driving the growth of the AEZ & the ATOM token + establishing the Hub’s PMF
1 Like