CHIPs discussion phase: Partial Set Security (updated)

That was a question I actually posed in another thread, and on twitter, and the consensus was that we want to let lower ranked validators opt into top-n chains as well.

2 Likes

Ty! One last clarification: validators can opt out after already running an ICS chain? I.E. Validator bob runs 3 ICS chains. Bob realizes that its too much for them and decided to opt out mid way from chain ICS 1 and 2.

Yes, that’s correct

I missed that thread, but i would have voted in favor of lower ranked validators to join on top-n chains. Thankyou for answering.

Replicated security so far has been great for consumer chains benefiting from the security of the Cosmos Hub. After two consumer chains were approved and revenues were not covering the infra costs of validators, other potential consumer chains stopped/delayed their plans or merged with existing consumer chains.

A new consumer chain would always prefer replicated security or top-n of 100% vs any lower security provided. In the feature A, many consumer chains could launch but attracting negligable security from the Cosmos hub. Even with the voting option, while some spam could be avoided, likely most of these consumer chains would attract negligable security and the serious project would opt for Replicated security to get the same security as Neutron or Stride.

For the Top-n is confusing, I guess for this a governance proposal is required? And if the proposal is approved then the top-n in that case needs to run that consumer chain?

The main issue since the launch of replicated security was the low revenues from consumer chains and the additional costs for validators. Neutron is solving this for themselves using some NTRN unclaimed from the airdrop as we suggested months ago and asked the community via a twitter poll. Will the top-n idea or the permisionless opt-in consumer chains idea solve the cost/revenues issue? Let’s analyse.

Permisionless opt-in consumer chains: since validators can choose or not to join for them it is better, but for consumer chains it is an issue if they can only attract negligable security and hence may not find this interesting

Top-n: for validators in the top-n is the same issue as replicated security but this is basically like the soft opt-out since the lower voting power validators can choose not to run that consumer chain. How is this different from a lower-n soft opt-out feature?

1 Like

Hi @jtremback . With PSS, is it possible to let validators outside from the Cosmos Hub to validate a consumer chain?

The economics at play here are more complex than that. We are currently in the process of building a comprehensive model to show the financial aspects of the agreements underlying PSS for both validators and project willing to deploy using the Top-N and Opt-in systems. We hope this will help the community and projects to better understand the complex factors underlying the agreements.

pro-delegators-sign

2 Likes