[PROPOSAL #54][ACCEPTED] Increase Max Validator Set Size to 150

Originally, the validator set size in the Cosmos Hub was capped at 100, ordered by total delegated Atoms.
The Cosmos whitepaper stated that the validator set size should increase 13% per year until it hits 300 validators as a cap.

In July 2019, proposal #10 suggested a new way to set the validator set size: through governance. This proposal also extended the active validator set size to 125, which still is the current network parameter.

Almost two years have been passed since this last set validator increase and the network has proven its reliability and stability. This proposal suggests increasing the validator set to 150 to improve network decentralization.

Other Cosmos-based networks, like Terra, have already raised the cap to 130 validators, proving that this parameter upgrade is feasible.

Edit 29/08/2021:
Proposal 54 is in the voting period:

Proposal link: #54 Increase MaxValidators value Mintscan
Keplr link: #54 Increase MaxValidators value Keplr

4 Likes

Any opinions or improvements regarding this proposal? I would like to read your thoughts :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I would vote yes for this unless someone has good reasons why it shouldn’t be increased?

1 Like

I think it is a good thing for the blockchain as it will improve decentralization and allow access to new players as validators.

It would be good to know the opinions of other validators about this proposal before launching it on the blockchain.

1 Like

I’m personally in favor unless anybody thinks this slows the chain down too much.

Currently, the minimum stake to become a validator is 65k ATOM, which is $737K at current prices. Increasing the validator size to 150 would lower the barrier for new validators, and thus helping to decentralize the Cosmos Network.

2 Likes

Hello,

2 years ago in 2019, it was voted for 125 seats as the network could go without any problems to 180 seats.
With the large amounts of new features and progress in the chain, I think it would be great to adjust to 150 as well.
There are many new validators that are working well on others cosmos chains, that didn’t deploy yet on cosmos as there is no space for them.
These 25 seats will be taken fast with the number of newcomers and builders in the ecosystem. A lot of more builders in the main chain can only be great.

1 Like

@iicc_stakely I can create the proposal and link to the draft so people will maybe be more active on this one. What do you think?

1 Like

I think that is a great idea, let’s try :slightly_smiling_face:

@StakeLab
We deposited ATOM to the proposal, it is now live and ready to be voted :fire:

Proposal link: #54 Increase MaxValidators value Mintscan

Keplr link: #54 Increase MaxValidators value Keplr

2 Likes

This looks like a modest proposal to increase decentralization, and thus the power to scale the network’s capabilities. Certainly it will dilute governance pull and rewards of existing validators, but that is inevitable if we are to become competitive.

Yes, yes and yes (and yes cause it has to be 20 characters)

1 Like

I’d like to try run a cosmos mainnet node if the mininum staking requirement is down.

is there any benefit for voting?

Voting by itself has not any rewards (as far as I know), but having a participative community is crucial for having healthy governance.

1 Like

The voting period will finish in less than two hours. It requires to reach at least 40% quorum to be valid and currently it is at 34.68%

The proposal passed and it has become immediately effective :partying_face:. The number of active validators in the Cosmos Network is now 150. Thanks for the support!!

1 Like

Hello,

Is there any chance that we have another proposal to increase again? I believe there are plenty of candidates are waiting for this opportunity to join the network.

Thanks