[PROPOSAL #69][REJECTED] Include CosmWasm in Rho Upgrade

I’ve read a bit about cosmswam. I feel there are some benefits but also quite a few drawbacks to including it in cosmoshub. I feel it’ll just be more of the burden to creators and developers of the chain. They will not only have to work on there own program but cosmswam too. Some things they want to do just don’t fit what this is chain is trying to do in the future and for that my vote will be “no”. I can go into more detail if need be. I also don’t know if this is necessary but this is my address to my wallet.
cosmos1cgjwk9ht26fxu6fu25m6m3fetkwyasm56059dd

1 Like

You’re not addressing the risk that is present. The Hub, as an IBC token zone, has very different security characteristics than the more self-contained Ethereum. Yikes.

Every chain in Cosmos can be an IBC token zone. By that logic no IBC token zone should have smart contracts… or… the smart contract chains shouldn’t be IBC chains. Essentially you are saying there is a tradeoff between interoperability and programmability. Can you elaborate on what the risks are?

Thank you all for the thoughtful discussion. Amidst all the drama and confusion around this proposal it has become apparent to me that the Hub needs an equivalent to the Swiss direct democracy handbook if it is to flourish.

The challenge here is to provide clear and succinct answers to every question that a reasonable Cosmonaut might have regarding a proposal, regardless of their level of education or knowledge.

Here is my attempt at an MVP of a Swiss booklet for prop 69 . My hope is that we move towards a Cosmos in which we publish such a booklet for every upgrade proposal well in advance of the vote (as well as perhaps a shortened version for param change proposals).

Thanks to @hxrts for the extensive discussions and for encouraging me to write this up. All feedback welcome and appreciated :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Your attempt is excellent sacha, thank you so much!.. :slightly_smiling_face:

I also completely agree with your idea of having a similar handbook for every upgrade proposal in advance of the voting period.

2 Likes

I spent some time to read this thread. I am web developer myself. It is still hard to fully understand the situation here.

especially the CosmWASM risk over benefit, still hard to make a decision for me. Well, I guess I will vote no for now.

At least, I tried my best to understand and made my own decision .

Thanks for the hard work though. I am developer myself. I hope my vote does not hurt any feeling.

Why the guys don’t play together to better world’s decentralization? What is a Nash equilibrium in game theory? The guy’s have a beautiful mind’s and are so smart! Nash Theory can save and move forward the Cosmo Ecosystem.

Your post was great polkachu thanks for everything you’re doing in cosmos

1 Like

I am glad that you liked it but must respectfully request that you no longer speak of Gaia as fat or thin.

thank you.

Because when Cosmwasm is on the hub it can draw data it needed directly from the hub. If we placed it off hub and expected it to do the same thing, right now it can’t, we will have to build IBC queries, or mirror hub data. Both of these options will slow down the hub then serve up old data to the Cosmwasm app.

2 Likes

I don’t think this forum is the time and place to air your personal grievances.

There is no better place than in public, though I question the wisdom of going so far into the past.

Look basically the alternative I mean it really sucks man, I just don’t with it it just ate several days of mine and people could say well you know that’s your fault you let it consume several days no that’s not my fault, I work in Cosmos professionally .

So, the only thing that I question is @jaekwon digging so far into the past about these grievances. But please let me just emphasize, there is stuff I disagree with him on, there is stuff that I agree with him on, and in both cases Even if he or someone else is spouting pure bullshit, I’d rather that everyone know that there’s a level playing field for voicing your opinion, and that that cuts both ways.

Speaking entirely in private contexts, can embolden people to act in ways that they otherwise would not.

Since the Cosmos is really quite engineering driven I suppose that one of the things that I would challenge Jae or anyone on is ensuring that there is always a fact-driven discourse. The closer and more rigorously we steer toward the use of observable fact in our work the more effective we will be.