[PROPOSAL 825][PASSED] Gaia v13 Upgrade

Change log

• 2023-09-14 Created initial post
  • 2023-09-14 Added supporting forum link
  • 2023-09-18 Removed cryptographic verification of equivocation

Background

The Gaia v13 release is a major release that will follow the standard governance process by initially submitting this post on the Cosmos Hub forum. After collecting forum feedback (~ 1 week) and adapting the proposal as required, a governance proposal will be sent to the Cosmos Hub for voting. The on-chain voting period typically lasts 2 weeks.

On governance vote approval, validators will be required to update the Cosmos Hub binary at the halt-height specified in the on-chain proposal.

Proposed Release Contents

The relevant Github epic for this release is: Gaia v13 Release

There are two changes that are planned for the v13 release:

The first change is a housekeeping one, with the removal of the old Gravity Dex Liquidity module code from the Gaia codebase. The Gravity Dex Liquidity module was disabled earlier this year and any remaining funds have been returned to depositors or have been added to the CosmosHub community pool. The v13 release will now remove all redundant code related to this module from the Gaia codebase.

The second change is an update to the Interchain Security provider module for the Cosmos Hub.

A release candidate can be found here.

The roadmap for this and future releases can be found here.

Testing and Testnets

The v13 release will go through rigorous testing, including e2e tests, integration tests, and differential tests. Differential tests are similar to integration tests, but they compare the system state to an expected state generated from a model implementation. In addition, v13 will be independently tested by the team at Hypha co-op.

Validators and node operators can join a public testnet to participate in a test upgrade to a release candidate before the Cosmos Hub upgrades to the final release. You can find the relevant information (genesis file, peers, etc.) to join the release testnet (theta-testnet-001) here, or the Replicated Security testnet (provider) here.

Potential risk factors

Although very extensive testing and simulation will have taken place there always exists a risk that the Cosmos Hub might experience problems due to potential bugs or errors from the new features. In the case of serious problems, validators should stop operating the network immediately.

Coordination with validators will happen in the #cosmos-hub-validators-verified channel of the Cosmos Network Discord to create and execute a contingency plan. Likely this will be an emergency release with fixes or the recommendation to consider the upgrade aborted and revert back to the previous release of gaia (v12).

Governance votes

The following items summarize the voting options and what it means for this proposal:

YES - You agree that the Cosmos Hub should be updated with this release.

NO - You disagree that the Cosmos Hub should be updated with this release.

NO WITH VETO - A ‘NoWithVeto’ vote indicates a proposal either (1) is deemed to be spam, i.e., irrelevant to Cosmos Hub, (2) disproportionately infringes on minority interests, or (3) violates or encourages violation of the rules of engagement as currently set out by Cosmos Hub governance. If the number of ‘NoWithVeto’ votes is greater than a third of total votes, the proposal is rejected and the deposits are burned.

ABSTAIN - You wish to contribute to the quorum but you formally decline to vote either for or against the proposal.

3 Likes

Do I get it correctly that after this proposal there won’t be a need for governance proposals for slashing validators on a provider chain for double signing on a consumer chain, and that it’ll be done automatically instead?

Additionally, 2 questions:

• do we have an estimation on when this upgrade 1) appear on the blockchain as a proposal and 2) would be applied?
  • when do you think we can expect Eden upgrade on mainnet? Why I’m asking: there’s a nasty bug in cosmos-sdk that makes validator’s delegators queries extra slow, and basically with a single query you can make a node getting out of sync with the rest of the chain for a minute or two. I’ve reported it here Optimising querying for validator delegations · Issue #15162 · cosmos/cosmos-sdk · GitHub and apparently it was fixed, and the devs reported it would be included in the Eden release, and it’d be nice to have in on Hub as soon as possible (as for myself, it’s the only reason I cannot list my public node on cosmos.directory as it’s getting killed with such queries)
1 Like

Hey @freak12techno thanks for the questions.

Do I get it correctly that after this proposal there won’t be a need for governance proposals for slashing validators on a provider chain for double signing on a consumer chain, and that it’ll be done automatically instead?

Certainly for double signing it should be automatic.

do we have an estimation on when this upgrade 1) appear on the blockchain as a proposal and 2) would be applied?

• The finishing touches are being added to release, so anticipating that the rc will be available soon and therefore on-chain proposal approx. 1-2 weeks from now.
  • Upgrade would then be approx. 2.5 weeks after that.

when do you think we can expect Eden upgrade on mainnet? Why I’m asking: there’s a nasty bug in cosmos-sdk that makes validator’s delegators queries extra slow, and basically with a single query you can make a node getting out of sync with the rest of the chain for a minute or two. I’ve reported it here

• To get to Eden, we need to upgrade to 47 and then to Eden, so I don’t think it will be anytime soon. An audit also needs to occur on Eden, which probably needs to be arranged.

@freak12techno if this is a severe enough issue we can check with the SDK folks, if they will backport, if not then we could see if we can backport ourselves. Can you create an issue and ask other validators to chime in?

Done: Backporting creating an index on validators' delegations to Cosmos Hub · Issue #2726 · cosmos/gaia · GitHub. Can you check?

1 Like

Another question: we already have 2 tombstones on Neutron, what would happen to these? Would they also get tombstoned on Cosmos Hub straight after the upgrade is applied, or would this apply only to future equivocations?

Hey @freak12techno , small update on the release contents and timelines - cryptographic verification of equivocation requires a bit more testing and won’t make the release cutoff time window for v13, so the Hub team will include it for v14.

1 Like

So the upgrade would only include the refactoring on removing the gravity dex module, right?
Also, can you clarify on the message mentioned before, what is the plan here for v4 on existing tombstones?

1 Like