[PROPOSAL][DRAFT] In search of direction

that is interesting. so as delegators, validators can influence other validator’s with delegations and independently use the delegated votes to their validator. completely fine, but interesting.

quorum seems to be more of an ornamental benchmark with current paradigm and would definitely be much lower if changed as suggested. i dont think it would effect anything other than appearances though.

I think the change would prompt greater discussion surrounding governance as greater explanation and education (or potentially disinformation) might be required to convince voters. fortunately $ATOM has a 14-day voting period and it is generally recommended to discuss it on the forum before putting up the proposal.

It could be the case that some of the voter apathy is due to delegators understanding that 1000 atom wont sway a validator’s vote.

I am with you on the fact that quorum is more like a showpiece than actual value with the current distribution of voting power as well as the fact that validators can vote with the complete voting power.
Lowering quorum together with changing how votes are cast can be an interesting experiment. Not sure we should do it on the Hub though :stuck_out_tongue:

I am really curious if that would make more people care for governance, because their vote will suddenly become more valuable.

Hello all,

I am not going to take this on to the chain because I have been approached about potential work on a hub project in the future and I do not wish to have any appearance of conflict of interest or ulterior motives.

I do believe the forum process has been of value and we’re someone else to bring this on chain o would support it while heartedly.

I was sent some feedback to say that each example of potential funded item should be its own prop to avoid looking like an omnibus prop.

If anyone wishes to take things from here please reach out.

1 Like

Read it all and still have a question. Can someone please explain why is ATOM lost?

Thanks for asking.

There isn’t a current roadmap. I don’t know that makes it lost in that we kind of know where we are but I feel that we currently aren’t clearly expressing where it is going.

One issue is, Keplr and Cosmostation have no incentive to contribute to the encouragement of redelegation of voting power. Cosmostation has their validator at the top of their validator list, for the purpose of gaining more delegation. Keplr doesn’t have a validator to put on top, it’s just a regular list of top voting power, down.

An inherent risk in these wallet providers doing a white list of validators or fudging the list so Stake.fish and others are not at the top, would be that if they whitelist a validator and that validator gets slashed and jailed, that could be a big liability for Keplr or Cosmostation with them whitelisting the slashed/jailed validator. With ICS coming, that liability gets larger with each additional node to their recommended validators, with more work to provide to prevent a slash.

An unfortunate by-product of ICS, is that the delegator/validator risk gets exponentially higher. How can this get figured out? That is gonna be a struggle for the foreseeable future.

We need a delegator education campaign of some sort, that would be more effective and less prone to liability than a WL or relying on the wallet providers to do such a thing. We have community resources that people frequent. Reddit, Youtube and Twitter need to become echochambers of people stating to redelegate out of the top 10, and we need validators to get out and push for their validator to be trusted by the community. Echochamber education might be able to get the idea across.

However, LS is also providing massive incentive for centralization as well. LS providers white list their validators, and those validators are likely to be in the top 10 if I had to guess. I am sure Stake.fish and Dokia are at the top of the LS providers whitelist and then they branch out after that. I think the idea of a LS tax for the Hub is already massively needed. Fund redistribution to the treasury, or paid to the lower bound validators and their delegators, or split between these options.

2 Likes