AADAO Oversight Special Report: GM Misconduct/Mismanagement

Youssef’s statement is nothing more than an attempt to deflect responsibility from his own misconduct while painting himself as a victim of a situation he clearly created. His refusal to acknowledge the mismanagement and misappropriation of DAO funds, combined with the bullying of oversight members like Patricia and Grace, speaks volumes about his lack of accountability. His repeated mischaracterizations are nothing more than a smokescreen for his actions.

By shifting the blame onto others, Youssef has proven he cannot be trusted with any future responsibility, let alone DAO funds. His leadership has not only jeopardized the integrity of AADAO but has fractured trust within the community. Despite the claims of “shielding collaborators,” it’s clear that Youssef’s decisions led to this operational freeze. The ongoing investigation is vital, and his mismanagement should disqualify him from any future role in this organization. Trust and transparency are crucial, and Youssef has failed to uphold both.

4 Likes

Lotta ChatGPT vibes here, could you folks respond more in personally? It would be more enjoyable to read instead of overly academic or legalistic text.

Is it possible also to get Patricia Mizuki’s perspective on the matter so the community can have a full view of all sides?

Operational freeze is in place, and in the end AADAO will decide the matter. The community surely hopes that everything will be thoroughly investigated, and actions or decisions will be based on facts, not bias or personal feelings toward individuals. Otherwise, both the operations and the oversight will just become a joke where everything is purely formal from hereon. Thanks

2 Likes

Patricia is currently unable to post on the forum. I trust that it is being investigated, so she can post asap.

3 Likes

@Syed @catdotfish @RobbStack @lexa
AADAO Financial Controller, @Patricia can’t post messages. Can you help please? She created an account on Sept. 10th.

2 Likes

On February 1st, Youssef provided me with the 2024 compensation file, instructing me to keep it confidential and not share it with Oversight, stressing that, as HR, I was the only person authorized to access it. When this file was shared internally at the end of August, several contributors voiced serious concerns about salary discrepancies, Youssef’s substantial base salary, and its potential impact on the bonus pool. They also emphasized the importance of transparency within the DAO, particularly regarding salaries and bonus allocations, and expressed concerns about Youssef’s reluctance to make this information accessible internally, and plainly available as public information .

During the Strategy Committee call on August 30th, and in a private discussion on August 29th, it became apparent that Strategy members had never seen the 2024 compensation file. As a result, Youssef’s total compensation had not been properly approved. Transparency is key in addressing potential abuse of power or personal gain. Paying oneself a high compensation is acceptable, as long as it is fully disclosed and approved by the appropriate authority, in this case, the community. Deviating from this process is what makes it unethical.

In February, given my concerns about potentially abusive compensation practices, but recognizing my limited knowledge of crypto salary structures and bands, I consulted with Oversight. We collectively agreed that the compensation seemed unusually high. However, to avoid the appearance of targeting Youssef personally, we chose not to question his total compensation directly. Instead, we focused on critically evaluating the overall methodology and rationale behind the bonus structure.

I firmly believed that the bonus pool should be distributed based on contributions that added value to ATOM. In a one-on-one conversation with Youssef, we agreed that Oversight should not receive bonuses since our work didn’t directly contribute to value creation for ATOM. However, on February 3rd, I was surprised when Youssef shared preliminary KPIs, which included basic duties like meeting attendance, participation in discussions, and adherence to deadlines as criteria for bonus eligibility. These are standard responsibilities and should not be tied to bonuses.

When I realized these KPIs were linked to core responsibilities rather than value-added contributions, I reached out to Youssef to understand his reasoning. I argued that since the KPIs were tied to core responsibilities, it would be reasonable for me, as a Financial Controller overseeing accounting and mitigating operational risks, to receive a bonus. Youssef disagreed, citing that due to conflict of interest Oversight should not be eligible. I explained that the COI could be mitigated through clear, objective KPIs and open discussions with the Strategy Committee and the team.

Later, Youssef’s wife contacted me to discuss our differing views. While she agreed that there was no inherent conflict in the Financial Controller/Internal Auditor receiving a performance bonus (a common practice in the corporate world), she mentioned that the community viewed me as an External Auditor. Despite not holding that role, she advised that due to this perception, I should not be entitled to it. I agreed, and we ended the call.

Oversight, continuing to challenge the bonus methodology, proposed to Youssef that the retention bonus should be aligned with the previous year’s compensation structure, reflecting past performance, accumulated expertise, and loyalty to the DAO. I sought Youssef’s feedback on this, but unexpectedly, he responded by accusing me of undermining team cohesion and claiming that Oversight must act with integrity and avoid self-interest. He emphasized that retention bonuses should be based on current contributions. I was surprised that questioning the methodology could be construed as lacking integrity. In my second interaction with his wife, seeking to resolve the situation in an open dialogue, her outburst and choleric reaction indicated a lack of objectivity and a tendency to prioritize personal views over constructive dialogue.

Focusing solely on the financial aspects of the bonus methodology diminishes the objectivity needed to avoid conflicts of interest and maintain fairness. A transparent discussion focused on the purpose of the retention bonus, rather than individual financial benefits, is essential to ensuring fairness. The lack of open dialogue, along with the integrity accusation, was deeply concerning.

Initially, I intended to keep the February discussions private to avoid harming Youssef’s reputation within the DAO. I believed that full transparency, validated by the community, would resolve any potential personal conflicts.

Given that those who designed the methodology stood to benefit the most, it was critical to disclose the KPIs and seek community input to mitigate potential conflicts of interest. Regrettably, my suggestion was dismissed, and I was pressured to move forward with the individual bonus distribution.

My firm stance against approving the bonus without adequate transparency measures, supported by Grace, coupled with Youssef’s accusation of lacking personal integrity during a Strategy Committee call, led me to bring up the origin of my challenges with Youssef beginning Feb this year. This decision was a direct response to his personal attack on my character on a team call, and my steadfast and principled reasoning, and the pressure to pay the bonus without adequate transparency regarding the KPIs.

Despite the evidence I’ve provided, I did not directly comment on his personal integrity. Instead, I have raised concerns about potential conflicts of interest and other warning signs. His ongoing accusations regarding my integrity and allegations of fraudulent activities, cannot be ignored. Should he continue making these false claims, whether within internal DAO discussions or publicly, I will have no choice but to pursue legal action under applicable laws, with Montreal as the governing jurisdiction.

11 Likes

Response to Youssef’s Post: Supporting Materials and Clarification of Key Events

3 Likes

There’s more than 100 comments, and I am the only one who used chat gpt. And I didn’t do so, to express my personal opinion. Respectfully, only one single comment that I posted was not about my personal opinion but a ChatGPT analysis of the report of Youssefs actions and behavior with AADAO‘s code of conduct policy.

107 comments, I can understand if you don’t wann read through all of them, but you definitely caught a wrong vibe :wink:

1 Like

Reminder

PLEASE provide responses for the above if you haven’t done so already. It’s very important. Oversight fundamentally has disagreements with Core DAO wrt what was “approved” as per proposal 865. Thank you

1 Like

There should probably be a separate ratification vote that goes to the community.

The bonus allocation shouldn’t be supplementing monthly salaries. Its a full time role, should be a full time wage. Bonus shouldn’t be something handed out by admin either. Its almost perverse in that way - if your manager can at anytime revoke said bonus, you are less likely to speak up.

The bonus should be something handed out by community or the bonus should be determined by the success of the projects (i.e token allocation).

Bonus pool should always be for exceeded expectations.

7 Likes

This is not a professional response, regardless of your opinions on the other person. Responding with memes and ad hominems makes it looks like you don’t have a substantive argument.

5 Likes

Since the AADAO (previously known as the ‘Cosmos Hub grants program’ and name changed after criticism) was proposed in late 2022 we were waiting for this forum post.

Let’s all remember that when Youssed & Co were handpicking his AADAO team we were strongly against this and led the discussions that eventually led Youssef to create ‘open positions’ so that Cosmonauts could apply to be part of the AADAO rather than handpicked for all positions. This then led to Grace and others entering the AADAO. We already said before multipled times that no employee of the AADAO would report anything because they risked being fired and losing such high salaries. It seems Grace defeated this prediction and somehow decided to talk finally, well done. It was called Atom Accelerator DAO, but it seems in the wrong direction the acceleration so far

5 Likes

Despite apparent efforts to compromise the independence of the Oversight Committee, Pati and I are committed to upholding our mandate to serve the community.

Oversight does not serve the AADAO.

We exist to serve the stakeholder interests of Cosmos Hub Governance. Oversight is clear on this.

Youssef is not.

He claims to have “created Oversight” to imbue himself with credibility that he stewards transparency and accountability. His actions strongly suggest otherwise.

The only reason he agreed to allow for an elected member to their Oversight is because his self appointed Oversight committee was toothless. And visibly anemic. If he had “created” Oversight properly, he would understand the committee function is not something that can be censored, controlled or possessed.

It is unfortunate his missteps, his misconduct and his mismanagement have exposed the larger team to reputational harm. To me, it’s obvious how the team can set themselves apart from GM actions. And any difference that can be observed or measured will show up through how they respond in this crisis.

The pressure to contain these issues internally was not trivial, but our obligation to report directly to the community supersedes the needs of the team.

And when confronted with an observable and proven pattern of misconduct affecting the responsible use of ATOM resources – reporting is not a choice.

During the two-week period before publication, Oversight diligently gathered comprehensive evidence to substantiate each concern outlined in the report.

In the forthcoming weeks, you will continue to hear allegations of me being a “double agent” for AtomOne – and that Pati is a disgruntled Financial Controller. It’s deflection. It’s distraction. It’s nonsense.

We respectfully ask the community to remain focused on the report; and demand the changes the ATOM ecosystem deserves.

The problem with Cosmos – we have too many of our good ideas executed by bad people.

The need to fund a grant making DAO for ATOM was valid and real. However, we believe this legitimate cause has fallen into disrepute with its leadership, and perhaps by its ambition.

We still see the core of the ratified mandate for AADAO as a community owned, grant making DAO.

It’s not a hybrid entity. It’s certainly not a private entity, and despite its various rationalizations to evolve as a venture fund, it’s not a venture fund today.

If Youssef wanted to pay himself a salary and total compensation commensurate to GM pay “in Silicon Valley” – he should have raised private capital rather than hitting up the community pool to finance his misplaced entitlement under the cover of “public service.”

3 Likes

Kind of a tangent – but when I had last asked the team (July), AADAO earmarked (tentatively) $5M for venture funding and $3M for grants. I expressed concern the distribution was not representative of its identity as a grant making DAO.

While I understand that venture activities were included in the expanded scope of Proposal 865, I remain skeptical if the community supports this resource distribution.

I also feel the lack of communications as to how much the DAO plans to spend on ventures vs grants is not consistent with its stated transparency goals.

@Syed if you have any updates on this, please share. Thanks.

1 Like

The AADAO was created to accelerate ATOM. This was the job. The last time ATOM was below $4 was after the covid crash in early 2020, over 4 years ago. When AADAO was proposed and created ATOM was $10. Clearly, AADAO failed to deliver its mission, so why it should be continued?

3 Likes

Alot of factors affect token price. But if you believe there’s been failure of the mandate, you know what to do upon renewal time.

1 Like

The community urgently needs a prop strengthening the tools available to Oversight. These issues have built up because whatever Oversight was there before Grace was clearly feckless. No one (especially entrusted with funds of that magnitude) should be marking their own homework.

4 Likes

That’s not a bad idea. Specifically, what would you like to see strengthened?

I think it needs to be made clear that Oversight is not subservient to the coreDAO. It’s independent.

1 Like

Due to her position, it is inherently possible that @Cosmos_Nanny could be a “double agent”, as she has been accused. But I have not see any evidence, or even intentional evidence, that this is the case.

We should not dismiss these concerns regarding AADAO because of unfounded speculations. @Cosmos_Nanny is clearly putting a lot of time and effort to turn things around (and boy do they need a sharp turn), while others sit on their hands criticizing and attacking her efforts.

The least you can do is support this effort, or better, come up with other means of turning things around. All we see is empty promised from incumbents, and no results.

2 Likes

Exactly. Oversight has its own mandate from the community. Community needs to make that clear.

1 Like

Oversight must be empowered and treated as an independent audit function, the third line of defense in a 3LoD model. Challenging the findings in an audit report by personally attacking the auditor and not responding to the factual findings is just wild - you’d be fired so fast it would make your head spin and that goes for corporate America and startup word just as well. We need to clean house asap if we have any shot at survival as a community.

3 Likes