Yesterday’s responses to our announcement have been full of support from all angles for our work and our company. We couldn’t be happier. Some of the more surprising reactions is coming from the Cosmos Hub, as it is not a CosmWasm-enabled chain. But of course it makes sense at second glance with Interschain Security on the horizon. Now it is time to turn that positivity into long term sustainable funding.
Confio and the Hub have a friendly relation ever since and prop 25 was one of the first CosmWasm fundings overall. But Confio is neither a significant ATOM holder nor are we capable of being involved in each chain’s governance process and the relevant discussions. Also in order to be able to best serve in the Hubs’ interest, we need a contact person. So we are looking for a person (or small group) from within the Cosmos Hub community to help Confio connect to the Cosmos Hub.This would include:
- Coordinating a governance proposal and putting it on chain
- Answering simple questions within the Cosmos Hub community and bringing the harder ones to us
- Managing funds to turn a larger Community Spends into smaller continuous chunks (monthly or quarterly payout)
- Explaining the Hub’s priorities to Confio to ensure they are acknowledged in the roadmap
- Doing health checks to be able to close the tap in case Confio stops delivering Public Goods to the Cosmos Ecosystem
- Mediate in case of disputes
We are posting this here to get feedback and start discussion with the larger Cosmos Hub Community. Happy to also discuss in other forums if there are better places to engage.
Update: So we’ve been in touch with a few people to help with a formal on-chain proposal. Based on these discussions and feedback, I want to clarify this idea a bit more, especially why this is relevant to the Cosmos Hub.
First, some context:
- The Hub’s largest push for value is Replicated Security, coming in the Lambda v9 release. This will enable “consumer chains”, particularly focused around some (like Neutron) who will enable CosmWasm contracts with Cosmos Hub security as a value driver for the Cosmos Hub.
- The Cosmos Hub is stable, but that also means it has been more or less ignored recently by independent developer teams, outside of core SDK and ICS work. Capturing developer mindshare is important if they seek products outside of this core infrastructure.
Supporting Confio’s Public Goods work and showing that the Hub is a sponsor of important independent development can re-attract much developer attention.
Additionally, Confio can provide tooling and support to help promote the success of various CosmWasm-enabled consumer chains. We are very happy to provide some clearly defined services as part of the funding proposal. Some ideas we had are:
- Providing reasonable technical support to CosmWasm-based ICS consumer chains (eg wasmd integration, extensions, etc)
- Providing off-chain developer tooling supporting the Hub and ICS consumer chains (we are building some custom tooling)
- Contribute as needed to development of ICS technology
- Integrating advanced IBC protocols in ICS consumer chains
Of course the above should be refined and maybe the list modified, but we want to make sure this is a two-way street, and the Cosmos Hub also benefits from the support they are considering to grant Confio.