Hey all! Just published this, would appreciate feedback: https://figment.network/resources/governance-and-the-validator/
- Combining Cosmos Hub governance with the validator role is problematic
- The Hub’s design indirectly rewards power-seeking at the cost of the validator set
- Undercutting the validator set to capture governance power drives down the value of validator security
- Case study: Sikka is exploiting this vulnerability
- Governance signalling is powerful
- On-chain parameter changes via governance fast approaching
- Call to research: should we separate Cosmos governance from validator security?
- Design drives behaviour–be careful what you select for!
Thanks to Doug, Sunny, and Jae for their feedback