Wen fraud proofs, wen mesh security?

Getting fraud proofs to work with the Cosmos SDK is unfortunately not something that we have the expertise or bandwidth to take on at the Hub team, but maybe someone from the Cosmos-SDK or Rollkit teams can comment in more detail, since they are working on these things.

Without fraud proofs, as I wrote in that post, we are left with fraud votes (or just running unsecure protocols). Fraud votes are extremely easy to implement, but could be tricky socially. I wrote about the challenges here: Informal Blog - 818 Post Mortem

Fraud votes are even trickier from a governance perspective than voting on double signs, since just running the wrong code is a slashable offense.

But anyway, once we have a use for fraud votes, deploying them is trivial. In terms of uses for fraud votes, there are two.

• Mesh Security: Eigenlayer is similar to Mesh (based on it?), and I believe it is an optimal design for restaking/shared security. The Mesh Security team is working hard and we are supporting them on some of the tougher theoretical questions around slashing etc. I’ve also heard that there are teams working on connecting Mesh Security to Eigenlayer, which is exciting.
  • Opt-in Security: Polygon 2.0 is similar to Opt-in (AFAICT from the scant details in their paper). We have not been working on this much, since Mesh Security seems to be around the corner, and is more flexible. We are about to start on an overhaul of the ICS protocol (read-only protocol) which should make it much easier to do Opt-in Security if Mesh is delayed or something, as well as solving several other problems.

That being said, I’ve recently started thinking that selling security is not a very solid business to build on in the long term, since the endgame is that applications can get security from many providers at the lowest possible price.

I think that ultimately, applications will choose where to deploy based on alignment, and ultimately composability with other high value applications. One way to capitalize on this is to take advantage of Replicated Security’s full validator set overlap to offer consumer chains much more powerful IBC connections between each other. I’ve written more about this in the context of atomic IBC.

So while we believe that Atomic IBC gets us out in front of the security market in the long term and we’d like to focus on it in 2024, we will stay on top of more advanced shared security protocols by working to get Mesh Security deployed to the Hub and/or enabling Opt-in security.

2 Likes