Asa-2023-002 was inaccurate

Hi,

The issue that I called P2P storms is genuinely complex. Basically under load, Cosmos chains sometimes stop making blocks.

I have released a test tool, called hardhat

And a set of mitigations called placid

Also I believe that this issue was very properly addressed by the osmosis team in recent months. And I know they got help from the comet team and I’m appreciative to both for getting the issue fixed.

But I really do not appreciate the fact that amulet used my company’s name without my permission in their report, which ultimately seems to have been inaccurate.

I challenge the notion that the code that I wrote was actually run, because when it is run, the issues are very apparent, and while large block size does play a role here, it is not the role described in the security report from amulet.

I do not think that my scripts were ever run by the informal systems or amulet teams. Because if they were run, very different issues would have been exposed.

We created a document with distinct issues leading to an inability to come to consensus:

Issues that we reported are genuinely broad and genuinely challenging to track down. One of the things that I could have used while reporting, was actual assistance in triage, but that really didn’t happen.

I’d like to see us handle reports better.

I could post all the wild stuff that happened on the way, but maybe that’s not ideal. Maybe I should just say directly, that security process reform is needed, and if folks like @ebuchman do not understand why that is, realize that things won’t change, and reorient myself according to that reality.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.