- 2023.03/28 - Add Multisig Address
- 2023.03.24 - Add Multisig Committee
- 2023.03.20 - Create the Initial Post
We are requesting 4,500 ATOM (~$50,000) for phase 2 of the Game of NFTs. In exchange for the ATOM, the Cosmos Hub will become a primary sponsor of the event, and be able to define its own challenge in the games.
The Game of NFTs is a two-phase interchain event aimed at thoroughly testing and experimenting with the underlying Interchain NFTs (ICS-721) technology. It takes a two-phase approach that includes incentivized testing (phase 1), and exploring innovative, chain-sponsored dApps/projects on top of it through a hackathon (phase 2). For more information about the Game of NFTs, you can also see the event site at https://interchainnfts.dev/gon/.
This is a joint effort by the Interchain Foundation, Cosmos Hub, IRISnet, Stargaze, Juno, OmniFlix, Uptick, and many other talented teams across the ecosystem, with each providing different degrees of operational support or financial sponsorship for the event.
Phase 1 of GoN Incentivized Testing has been live since March 1st, with Interchain NFT transfers taking place. Hundreds of participants have been testing across IRISnet, Stargaze, Juno, OmniFlix, and Uptick testnets and competing for rewards provided by the Cosmos Hub’s sponsorship of the event.
With each passing day, the participants move closer to unlocking NFT interoperability. They’ve used their ingenuity to build incredible tools, identify issues, and provide solutions that enhance the Interchain NFTs experience, many of which you can check out in the appendix below.
In addition to testing, we believe that empowering the ecosystem with more use cases and applications is extremely critical, and hope to open a path for the Cosmos Hub to expand the ATOM economic zone with an innovative NFT consumer chain. With the planned expansion of IBC to other ecosystems (Etheruem, Polkadot, Near and others), this NFT app-chain could become a vital cross-chain NFT platform.
With this in mind, we are planning the first interchain hackathon after Phase 1. In Phase 2, participants will compete in challenges defined by sponsor chains to showcase their best Interchain NFT ideas - winning rewards, getting GTM support, as well as connecting with teams and institutions both inside and outside Cosmos. Some of the participating institutions include Amazon Web Services, HashKey Capital, and IDG Capital.
For this reason, we’re bringing up this proposal to discuss setting up a Cosmos Hub challenge in GoN Phase 2 Hackathon, which we believe can further strengthen the Hub’s position as a technical pioneer and patron of the Interchain ecosystem.
This proposal is requesting 4,500 ATOM (~$50,000), or ~.2% of the community pool to make the Cosmos Hub a primary sponsor of the Game of NFTs (GoN) Phase 2 Hackathon and cover the prizes for Interchain Challenge winners.
Benefits to the Hub
As a primary sponsor of the GoN Phase 2 Hackathon, the Cosmos Hub will be able to define a dedicated challenge, discover projects, select and reward winners.
For the Hub’s track, it would be exciting to see something built that combines Interchain NFTs with Interchain Security and maximizes the capability of IBC. Some rough ideas are as follows:
- Build NFT consumer chains
- Build NFT dApps on a consumer chain
- Build Interchain NFT use cases across consumer chains
We are hopeful that the hundreds of participants, the creativity and talent of the community, and the lucrative rewards for winners will result in opportunities that help grow Phase 2 submissions into viable products that add value to the ATOM economic zone.
If governance approves this sponsorship, the Cosmos Hub core team will support the hackathon by assisting with the formation of the challenge, and providing a judge and developer support (in relation to using Replicated Security).
The prize pool of Cosmos Hub challenge will be:
- 1st Place: 2,750 ATOM
- 2nd Place: 1,250 ATOM
- 3rd Place: 500 ATOM
If this proposal passes, there will be a Cosmos Hub judge team which will award prizes in accordance with criteria outlined in the challenge.
Additionally, before putting the proposal on-chain, a multisig committee will be assigned to distribute the tokens to the winners. Any surplus will be returned to the community pool.
The Multisig Committee is:
- Haifeng Xi | Co-founder, Bianjie
- Dayakar Reddy | Founder, OmniFlix Network
- Jeffrey Hu | Tech Lead, HashKey Capital
Multisig Address: cosmos1zgzegs68vwedup5ujsp67azhfgkcl8838k0u8g
As a multi-chain hackathon, other than Cosmos Hub, there are many teams in and beyond the Interchain that sponsored and engaged in Game of NFTs:
- IRISnet proposal to sponsor $50k: Interchain Explorer by Cosmostation
- Stargaze proposal discussion to sponsor $50k: https://gov.stargaze.zone/discussion/10324-make-stargaze-the-sponsor-of-game-of-nfts-phase-2-hackathon
- OmniFlix commits to sponsor 100,000 FLIX with 50,000 FLIX for the winner and 25,000 FLIX each for 2nd and 3rd place winners and a follow up grant (as applicable) for when the tools/apps get deployed to work with the OmniFlix Hub mainnet.
- Uptick Network commits to sponsor $50K in UPTICK or other equivalent tokens (The winners are automatically whitelisted in the Uptick application incubation program, qualify for receiving further supports on funds, awards and resources)
- AWS commits to sponsor their favourite team/participants with different-level cloud resource credits based on a standard requirement (More details will be out when phase 2 starts)
Outside of prizes, we will be providing support to hackers to ensure that the event drives the most possible value to the Interchain. This support will come via technical learning, project brainstorming, business development assistance, and more such as:
- Workshops and videos from NFT thought-leaders
- Industry and business insights from mentors
- Direct connection chance with venture capital firms to introduce projects/teams
- Extra cloud resource credits from AWS and cloud providers
Exciting to see the tools made during GoN Phase 1 for a better Interchain NFTs experience. Explore some of incredible tools in GoN phase 1:
To help you better understand Interchain NFTs and the Game of NFTs, we’ve listed some useful links to explore below:
- Game of NFTs website
- Blog: Introducing Interchain NFTs
- Blog: Announcing GoN Testnet
- Blog: Start of GoN Testnet
- Discord: #nft-chat for devs & community
- Github: Interchain NFT (ICS-721) Specs
- Github: ICS-721 Go implementation
- Github: ICS-721 CosmWasm implementation
- Github: Testnet Rules and Challenges repo
- Github: Testnet activity submission repo
- Governance: Cosmos Hub Prop #94 - Fund testnet incentives
- Governance: IrisNet Prop #27 - Fund GoN hackathon
- Governance: Stargaze Gov Discussion - Fund GoN hackathon