2022.12.12 - Posted First Initiative Draft - Signal Proposal
2022.12.23 - Updated to Community Pool Proposal
2022.12.26 - Added Recipient Address
I’m Haifeng Xi, CTO of Bianjie and creator of the Interchain NFTs (ICS-721) specification. After the discussion and feedback we had from the community on the Game of NFTs in the last few days, we would like to update the proposal and seek feedback and approval from the community to fund incentives for Game of NFTs Phase 1 Incentivized Testnets, to reward testnet participants.
Below is the full proposal. We would like to have feedback from the community and discuss to co-create the event.
The Game of NFTs (GoN) is an event proposed as a joint effort by multiple Cosmos teams, aiming to test the Interchain NFTs feature and build applications on top of it, which will have 2 phases: a) public incentivized testnets and b) a hackathon. This event is expected to happen in Q1 2023.
This is a community pool spend proposal seeking approval to fund 20000 ATOMs worth of incentives for the Game of NFTs Phase 1 - Interchain NFTs incentivized testnets - to reward participants.
Background - Interchain NFTs
The Interchain NFTs technology can facilitate interoperability and expands the capabilities of IBC by allowing cross-chain NFT interoperability between IBC-enabled chains, which is the work of multi-team efforts supported by the Interchain Foundation.
With collaborative efforts from ICF, IRISnet, Gravity Bridge, Stargaze, Ark Protocol and many community teams, it has Cosmos SDK and CosmWasm implementations that can be easily adopted by Cosmos SDK Chains including Cosmos Hub or CosmWasm Chains to expand their interconnections across the ecosystem.
In November 2022, the first IBC NFT transfer between two test chains using different implementations of ICS721 was successfully executed on testnets. This marked a significant step forward for the IBC NFT ecosystem demonstrating the NFT interoperability between Cosmos SDK (Go) and CosmWasm (Rust) chains.
NFTs have now captured the attention of various industries as well as Cosmos stakeholders. Similar to fungible tokens, if NFTs are just tied to one blockchain, the number of transactions and size of the NFT market would be restricted. To remedy this and unleash the next level of Cosmos NFT, high connectivity and interoperability are required. This is where Interchain NFTs enter the picture. We believe that Interchain NFTs and the community collaboration around them are expanding the mindshare and market share for Cosmos.
More details about Interchain NFTs: Interchain NFTs are Coming to Cosmos | by Interchain | The Interchain Foundation | Medium
Game of NFTs
The Interchain NFTs technology requires rigorous testing with the community involved. To boost the IBC NFT ecosystem, we’re proposing to launch a Game of NFTs event, which will build on the success of previous programs including Game of Stakes and Game of Zones, as well as the ongoing Game of Chains. The event is expected to have two phases:
- Phase 1: Public Incentivized Testnets, for chains and service providers to test around Interchain NFTs. This phase is scheduled for around February 2023.
- Phase 2: A Hackathon, for developers to create tools, dApps and use cases around Interchain NFTs. This phase is scheduled for around March 2023.
Public Incentivized Testnets - Phase 1
Many talented teams are contributing to the IBC NFT ecosystem, and have plans to deploy this Interchain NFTs technology. To facilitate wide adoption and successful deployment to capture more value to the Interchain, Phase 1 of the Game of NFTs event is designed to provide mainnet-like environments for purposes on a) testing the performance and capability of Interchain NFTs feature, and b) building trust in Interchain NFTs and preparing for its deployment in the mainnet environments.
The Interchain NFTs technology is crucial to facilitate interoperability and use cases of IBC, and will capture more value and use cases for both Cosmos-SDK and Wasm chains in Cosmos. By bringing this proposal up, we believe in the Interchain, Cosmos Hub is always a pioneer that takes the lead to pays attention to innovative technologies and public goods that can enhance IBC, Cosmos SDK and more underlying technologies, which is crucial to Cosmos Hub, Cosmos chains and also the Interchain. We would like to bring more value to the Interchain and there is no better way to do this than by having support from Cosmos Hub to Cosmos teams and communities to join the testing and improve this technology jointly.
For this reason, we believe it’s crucial to have testnets environment for Cosmos teams and communities to participate, as well well to reward participants who help contribute through the testing to the Interchain, we’re seeking community approval for 20K ATOMs withdrawn for the community pool as incentives for the GoN Phase 1 - Public Incentivized Testnet.
- 50% (10K ATOM) of the prize pool will be reserved for Phase 1 participants who complete Public Incentivized Testnet tasks with a set point system that is allocated based on their scores. These tasks and the point system will be published at the launch of the testnet.
- The remaining 50% (10K ATOM) will be reserved for bonuses to Phase 1 participants who help identify bugs or performance issues or help develop new tools and monitoring solutions at the discretion of the board of judges
- Funds will be managed by a 2/3 multisig committee
- Any unused funds will be returned to the community pool
Game of NFTs is a joint effort by the Interchain ecosystem, so certainly, in addition to the support from the Cosmos community pool to advance the infrastructure and underlying technology, there will be various support from Cosmos projects such as IRISnet, Stargaze, Juno and other teams, and also from organizations such as IDG Capital and HashKey Capital. There will be multi-team support from their community pools, to sponsor the prize pool of Phase 2 Hackathon that is boosting applications on top of this infrastructure and technology.
Through collaborative efforts of the Cosmos teams and community, this whole event will bring out verified Interchain NFTs infrastructure and technology that can be simply used and adopted by Cosmos chains, and prompt the creation of various pioneer applications using the technology, which together will create a complete IBC NFT ecosystem from bottom-up for the Interchain, and quickly expand the mind and market share for Cosmos.
Board of Judges
- Susannah Evans | IBC Product Lead, ICF
- Haifeng Xi | CTO, Bianjie
- Shane Vitarana | Co-founder, Stargaze
- Deborah Simper | Co-founder, Gravity Bridge
- Jeffrey Hu | Tech Lead, HashKey Capital
- Haifeng Xi | CTO, Bianjie
- Michael Scotto | Bridge Engineer, Stargaze
- Jeffrey Hu | Tech Lead, HashKey Capital
- By voting YES on this proposal, you indicate support for funding the Interchain NFTs public testnets incentives that will be managed by a multisig committee
- By voting NO on this proposal, you do not support this proposal in its current form - please kindly indicate why by leaving comments in the Cosmos Forum.
- By voting ABSTAIN, you formally decline to vote either for or against the proposal but want to contribute to the quorum.
- By voting NOWITHVETO, you express that you consider this proposal malicious or harmful and you would like to see depositors penalized by revocation of the deposit, which contributes towards an automatic 1/3 veto threshold.