[PROPOSAL #89][ACCEPTED] Cosmos Ecosystem News Videos

this shouldn’t be denominated in ATOM/month.

must vote No.

1 Like

Thanks for your comment. The estimation of the 300 ATOM monthly was done with the current ATOM price which is around ~$10. By the time the proposal voting ends in around 2 weeks it is not very likely that the price could deviate a lot.

All good content created for Cosmos should be welcomed.

Tho I voted No.

I don’t really get how the community pool should support that kind of projects.

Keep doing what you have been doing for the past months, eventually you’ll start generating some revenues out of those videos, creating a virtuous circle.

It does sound weird to me to support a channel that is not doing something new in any regards, there are plenty of ‘influencers’ and hidden gems doing that kind of videos.
Unless your channel goes beyond any expectations and gets a lot of traction, the content right now is pretty well hidden and won’t help the ‘normies’ in the Cosmos.

I’d more be than fine supporting a specific video or a specific advertising plan that for some reasons needs funding rather than an entire business that still have a long way to go.

BTW I’ve seen it the many comments here but there is no such thing as unbiased and totally partial.

The simple fact that you already are a validator and ‘advertise’ it on the channel makes it already biased. But I am 100% for it. If people like what you are doing they should definitely delegate to you.

I’ll keep an eye out for the channel and will definitely plan my next delegations in your validator as ‘support’.

Best of luck for your adventure :wink:

2 Likes

Hi many thanks for your detailed feedback and participation in the discussion, I will answer your different concerns:

-Thanks for encouraging us to continue producing more Cosmos ecosystem news videos, however precisely because of the important risk currently of potentially having to stop the videos at least temporarily due to the limited budget in the current market conditions is the reason why we decided to create this proposal. This was explained also above in other replies.

-You mention that these types of videos are not something new within the Cosmos ecosystem. We did extensive research before launching the project and we are not aware of other youtube channels creating these types of videos fully focused on the Cosmos ecosystem, including in-depth research about the whole ecosystem and presented with high quality video visual effects. Since launching you can see that the videos have been improving in terms of the content, the presentation and the visual effects, this has been thanks to the continuous feedback and support from the Cosmos community, and our goal is to keep improving to eventually produce videos of similar quality as CoinBureau’s Crypto News but fully focused on the Cosmos Hub and ecosystem.

-You mention that our content is hidden, I think by now a good part of the Cosmos community is aware about our videos and watching the videos. Moreover, in comparison with most of the other content creators within the Cosmos ecosystem, the average views, likes or engagement per video is reasonable we think. In addition, many people outside of the Cosmos ecosystem could learn a lot about the great developments happening explained in a simple, engaging and consistent way through our videos and this would be beneficial for the broader Cosmos ecosystem.

-You suggest that if for some reason funding is needed for some videos you would be fine to support this, but you are not fine supporting an ‘entire business’. The monthly funding requested of ~$3000 is to cover the costs to produce two monthly Cosmos ecosystem news videos as explained above in the proposal. I’m not sure if you are aware of all the costs involved in running validators but claiming that we are requesting $3000 in monthly funding to fund the entire costs of Cosmic Validator is not correct.

-Also, you claim that we advertise on our youtube channel that we are a validator and therefore we are biased. We have launched a youtube channel as Cosmic Validator, so people know directly that we are a validator. Moreover, if you check all of our videos produced so far, we only mention in the videos when we add auto-compounding for some networks, Skip or similar updates and briefly mostly in the conclusion section.

We thank you again for your comments, your interest in our Cosmos ecosystem news videos and your intention to potentially supporting us with a delegation, we really appreciate this.

I am not sure if this is a direct and only reply to my message.

But to make thinks obvious I never mentioned nor suggested that the amount asked was to run or finance part of the validator :wink:
By entire business I meant the Youtube channel. I’d rather feel like supporting a special video like a major community event report (where you’d have extra costs for going to the event/renting perhaps need for extra production ressources etc… ) or advertising campaign.

• On the ‘bias’ note: I think it would be totally fine and you definitely should advertise in your videos that you indeed are a validator of Cosmos.
    This is more than fair for you to capitalize on people that like and want to support your efforts and works.
    Thus my opinion, to not fund the entire Youtube business but instead try to make it so that it is sustainable for you either you get or not that community pool grant.

I’d also like to mention that you are one of the few that DID before asking. And I highly appreciate that.

But what is the point of funding unsustainable business that solely rely/ can not exist without the community pool ?

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, yes it was a reply to your message but when it is the following message it is shown like that in the forum.

-Thanks for clarifying that by ‘entire business’ you meant the Cosmos ecosystem news videos project, it wasn’t clear in your first message

-It seems that you are suggesting that for some special video you would support the proposal and we appreciate this, however we think that creating a proposal just for one video is not a good idea. These special videos that you mention could also be produced by us and the funds requested in this proposal would definitely helps us a lot for this

-About the sustainability, if you have read the discussion above this has been covered already but I will explain this point again. Since we launched the Cosmos ecosystem news videos, the community realized that we are constantly listening to their feedback and improving each video, and some have started delegating to us and helping to make more Cosmonauts and people outside the ecosystem aware of these news/educational videos. However, the market this year has been very tough, this project has been fully funded by us since the beginning. For the last few months we have been working really hard to keep producing and releasing videos. We discussed with the ICF and also some key stakeholders within the Cosmos ecosystem, as mentioned above since the ICF grants are not open currently we thought about a small Community pool spend. Before even putting the draft proposal in the forum we asked several key stakeholders within the ecosystem about the idea and they supported us. If the community wants to offer some support to decrease the risk of a potential temporary halt of the Cosmos ecosystem news videos due to the current market conditions with this proposal, then we will continue working even harder and increasing further the quality of the videos. If the majority of the community doesn’t want to support this proposal, then we will still try our best to continue producing the videos consistently because we know there are many Cosmonauts who regularly watch and learn with our videos and are expecting new episodes

1 Like

Voting no because of how you phrased that option.

Hi Jacks_WithS,

Thanks for your comment, so you mean that you agree that educating and keeping all Cosmos ecosystem stakeholders informed and updated is important, which is great. But still you don’t wish to support this proposal which is fine as well and we respect your decision. However, if educating and keeping all Cosmos ecosystem stakeholders informed and updated is important for you it would be great then that your reason for not supporting our Cosmos ecosystem news videos, which are contributing to informing and educating the Cosmos community and also people outside of the ecosystem, would be other than how we phrased the voting options.

hi, subtitles in several languages ​​would be useful for better understanding.
investors with a limited technical level would appreciate understanding the entire content. Including those who don’t speak English.
300 ATOM … job has to be perfect.

1 Like

I tend to delegate to validators that provide informative content and vote on proposals with reasoning that I respect. This kind of validator tends to attract more delegators, and thus more revenue. Why does the content you provide need to be subsidized by the community pool instead of being an out of pocket investment in attracting more delegators?

I’m also concerned about how you worded the “no” option by equating a lack of funding for you in particular with a devaluation of informative content in general.

2 Likes

Hi Guinch_Roze,

Many thanks for this feedback, yes some Cosmonauts from Japan who watch our videos also mentioned about subtitles in other languages so we will definitely work on this. We also publish twitter threads and blogpost versions of the content of the videos, and some Cosmonauts who don’t speak English mentioned that the blogposts helped them a lot to translate easily and understand the content. But we agree that video subtitles in several languages would be useful so we will be working on this :+1:

Hi redbeard, thanks for sharing your concerns, here are the answers:

-Yes some Cosmonauts who value our work and videos have been delegating to us, however this didn’t lead to more revenues as you mentioned because of the current market situation which is very tough. And yes, since we launched this project we have been funding it entirely ourselves, however given the current circumstances as mentioned above there is a risk of potentially having to stop the Cosmos ecosystem news videos at least temporarily, therefore to reduce this risk after first discussing with several Cosmos ecosystem stakeholders it was decided to create this proposal to ensure the continuity of the Cosmos ecosystem news videos.

-Regarding how we phrased the voting options, what we mean is that if the Cosmos ecosystem news videos have to be stopped, even temporarily, this would be a devaluation as you mention of informative and educational content about the Cosmos ecosystem, both for existing Cosmonauts or new people willing to learn about the Cosmos ecosystem.

Hi, thank you for the proposal.

My only feedback is probably regarding the duration of the video. I saw your youtube and most of your videos are more than 10 minutes long. I personally prefer under 10 min, 5-10 minutes would be perfect. I can watch it during my break times or during coffee time :slight_smile:

So maybe, instead of creating 2 long videos/month, you can create a shorter video weekly.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi VK_S16, many thanks for sharing this feedback.

-Actually the last few videos were over 20min long, and we will try to keep the videos around this duration but it really depends on how many important news within the ecosystem are happening for each video. Currently there is so much going on within the Cosmos ecosystem that the videos have been increasing in duration.

-About your comment of shorter videos, we are actually about to launch a new project soon by selecting the main news in the videos with in-depth/educational assessments and sharing these in shorter clips on Twitter, either as a tweet or if the video is longer in several tweets. We also have summarized twitter thread and blogpost versions of the videos. Some people don’t have enough time to watch the videos or prefer reading, hence we launched a few months ago this related project to release twitter thread and blogpost versions of each video.

-Regarding the bi-weekly or weekly frequency of the videos, before launching the project we did a poll for the community and the majority was fine with the bi-weekly frequency. Of course the video duration covering two weeks is longer, but as mentioned above we are about to launch this related project with shorter video clips of the most important news. Also, remember that the videos are organised by sections, so you can select and watch directly the sections that interest you most.

Thanks again for joining the discussion and your interest in the Cosmos ecosystem news videos :+1:

1 Like

I am a NO to this for a few reasons, here’s why:

First; I think it makes more sense to apply for the ICF delegation program and use the commission from that delegation to go toward sustaining your efforts. Many other content creators do so without funding from the community pool. I am sure part of the reason you make the videos is to attract more delegations and that is the sensible approach. You should by all means be more explicit about your validator operations in your videos.

Second; I really don’t like your reason given for a NO vote. Just because I may disagree with funding this initiative does not mean I don’t agree that keeping the ecosystem informed is important. I do think education, awareness and information sharing is valuable and important.

Thanks for the well thought out proposal. Other than your NO definition I think this was a good proposal providing information for the community to make informed decisions. And also thank you for the very active engagement. While I am a NO it is a very respectful NO and I hope you don’t stop creating content should this proposal not be accepted, and if it is accepted then I look forward to the improvements that would come from funded productions.

1 Like

Hi JD-Lorax,

Thanks for joining the discussion, of course we respect your decision and thank you for encouraging us to continue releasing Cosmos ecosystem news videos.

It seems that you haven’t read fully the previous discussion, @LeonoorsCryptoman mentioned early in the discussion about the ICF Delegation versus the Community pool and we discussed this in detail, we invite you to review that discussion and then let us know if you have further feedback. Similarly, the concerns about how the voting options are phrased have also been extensively discussed previously earlier in the discussion.

I’ve already read the discussion :slight_smile:

This isn’t something I think the community pool should fund. This is something your commission can support.

That’s great and we respect your decision, however it has also been discussed several times the issue of the current market situation which is very tough. In the proposal it is mentioned that if the ICF grants reopen then we would apply for a grant instead of a small Community pool spend. However, in the current circumstances as mentioned above there is an important risk of having to stop at least temporarily these Cosmos ecosystem news videos due to the current market situation. Before sharing the draft proposal in the forum there were discussions with stakeholders within the Cosmos ecosystem who supported the idea of a small Community pool spend to ensure the continuity of the Cosmos ecosystem news videos.

Current markets are difficult for many, not exclusive to Cosmic Validator operations. If we supported everyone because the current market conditions are tough then the pool would be empty. I don’t see the need to rush and pursue funding from the pool when you are planning to turn to ICF grants as an option as well as the option of the delegation program. If this proposal wasn’t to pass and you need to stop making videos then that is your decision based on your own needs to run your operation sustainably. Other validators are also finding ways to continue running their services in this challenging market.

I certainly hope you don’t stop making videos over this prop and I am not so strongly opposed that I would complain about it passing. I personally just don’t see this as essential for the ATOM community to fund.

There has been some discussion on Twitter at least about an idea of a Media DAO or Media Collective forming to pursue funding for these types of initiatives. I would support that as it would mean supporting a collective rather than creating bias and playing favourites with an individual validator. There are other valuable contributors and content creators out there creating content without pool funding.

Thanks for your reply and further feedback and we repeat that we respect your decision.

-Anyone is free to share a draft proposal in the Cosmos Hub forum and decide to put the proposal on-chain for the governance/community to decide.

-About the Interchain Media DAO that you mentioned we know well about this since it is Sistla who is leading this and we are also supporting. We mentioned ourselves earlier in the discussion that there are several great content creators within the Cosmos ecosystem and the Community pool could be a great way to support them also, especially now that the tax to the community pool is likely to be increased from 2% to 10%.