Gaia-9003 planning thread

gaia-9002 died due to a consensus failure:

Now, it would be rather useful to have a functional testnet in the lead-up to GoS, and Zaki wants the community to launch a new testnet without his participation, so, let’s do it!

Key points/questions:

• It should be a decentralized start, with gentx submissions.

• Will it be an official community-driven testnet called gaia-9003?

• When to launch the new testnet? In our opinion, Monday is the earliest option - it takes a while to collect the gentx files, and it’s unfair to force people to work on weekends.

• Will GoS start on Tuesday in spite of the untimely demise of 9002? (unlikely, and it’s our opinion that we should get gaia-9003 started first and not rush things)

• A few people do want to spend their weekend launching a new testnet, and there’s nothing wrong with that as long as it’s clear that it’s just for fun and won’t last. Do we want to do this? Who is going to coordinate it?

Our gentx collector is up and running: https://genesis.certus.one

2 Likes

when you said
A few people do want to spend their weekend launching a new testnet during the weekend, and IMO, there’s nothing wrong with that as long as it’s clear that it’s just for fun and won’t last. Do we want to do this?

you are wrong because is not for fun , is for test the GoS Software and launch.

and and i dont belived Zaki was talking about he don’t want to participate in the launch of 9003.
imo he was talking about the testnet-gos launch.

It’s more valuable if this kind of testing involves the whole community, not just a subset.

1 Like

Our genesis collector tool is ready to accept your submissions for the community testnet: https://genesis.certus.one/

All submitted transactions are validated to ensure a smoother decentralized launch. The tool generates a genesis.json file from the submissions.

Let’s see how the gentx process goes and then establish community consensus on the launch date!

1 Like

Current state:

• GoS schedule did not change, since the Cosmos team assumes that the gaia-9002 bug has already been fixed in the current develop branch.

• The genki-1000 community testnet is currently collecting gentx transactions (deadline is 15:00 UTC), and will launch later today. More information in Forbole’s repo: https://github.com/forbole/cosmos-genki

• gaia-9003 will be community-driven as well. No schedule as of now (probably post-GoS).

great tool, i used very easy.

in summary genki-1000 now loading…
gaia-9003 is coming too in decentralised fashion launch :wink:

Further outlook:

do you think GoS could still be running during Xmas& new year?
I dont see a way that we could stop the GoS chain and restart later after holidays. The export function is no tested yet.

Yes, with the current schedule, it will. Not ideal.

Hi there, any news about Gaia-9003

The export-import functionality is pretty well-tested, I think - it’s now part of several CI tests. That said, there certainly could be bugs! If you do discover any please don’t hesistate to file issues.

I think intentionally stopping the GoS chain for the holidays and restarting afterwards is very plausible and would be respectful of validators’ time. Possibly a candidate governance proposal!